Americans for the Arts Private Sector Initiatives department provides research, messaging and advocacy to advance the value and integration of the arts into the business and foundation communities which leads to greater resources for the arts. The department also provides professional development to local arts organizations so they can better partner with businesses and foundations in their communities. Americans for the Arts mission is to serve, advance, and lead the network of organizations and individuals who cultivate, promote, sustain, and support the arts in America. Connecting the best ideas and leaders from the arts, communities, foundations and business, Americans for the Arts work to ensure that every American has access to the transformative power of the arts.
The Private Sector Initiatives Manager trains local arts agencies and nexus organizations to better leverage resources and leadership from the private sector to increase support for their organizations and to advance the arts in local communities. This position creates programming, research and best practices for local arts agencies (LAAs) that connect directly with the private sector and also works with local arts organizations to build strategic partnerships on the local level to advance the arts. The Manager also develops ongoing strategies and professional development tools to track and promote trends in arts and business partnerships, foundation giving, and local models of success.
Private Sector Network Growth and Professional Development
Design programs to increase private sector partnerships with the arts with special focus on resources for local arts organizations.
• Build a comprehensive training program both online and in-person to teach best practices in building and sustaining innovative partnerships with the private sector. This includes creating and presenting local and regional workshops, identifying topics and writing tool-kits on key topics in private sector support, developing webinars, blogs, and convention sessions
• Partner with Local Arts Advancement team to ensure that training and best practices for local arts organizations includes best practices from the private sector.
• Create and promote resources to LAA field on building and sustaining programs to engage business employees in the arts. Develop workbooks, online training resources and sharing of best practices to advance local employee engagement programs.
• Provide resources to local arts organizations to support them in creating partnerships with creative economy businesses to create a vibrant local arts community.
• Oversee redesign of online resources that train local arts agencies to partner with the private sector. Ensure creation and promotion of content that covers the full spectrum of ways businesses can partner with the arts from employee engagement, to diversity initiatives, to programs that enhance the community. Utilize the pARTnership Movement and ArtsU as mechanisms to reach arts audience.
• Manage a series of local arts and business convenings including event logistics, designing of curriclum and collaboration with local hosts. Work with development department and local hosts on fundraising.
• Advance the Private Sector Network of Local Arts Organizations and nexus organizations to be able to partner with the private sector and increase local support for the arts from the private sector. Create programming, training and opportunities both in-person and online for the sharing of best practices
• Coordinate the activities of the field-elected Private Sector Council, an advisory group charged with helping Americans for the Arts develop and implement programs for the larger Private Sector Network including twice annual in-person meetings and regular phone calls. Organize an annual election process to build a diverse council.
• Track trends in the evolving United Arts Fund (UAF) field to ensure that we continue to provide the most relevant tools to UAFs. Provide opportunities for sharing of best practices and research through an annual retreat, conference calls and listservs.
• Build and maintain strategic partnerships on the local level with private sector organizations including chambers of commerce, economic development groups and employee engagement/human resource organizations.
• Partner with private sector network organizations to identify exemplary businesses and business leaders that should be recognized nationally with visibility, recognition at the BCA 10: Best Businesses Partnering with the Arts gala or as members of the Business Committee for the Arts. Work with private sector network organizations to leverage these national recognitions on the local level to increase support and advocacy for the arts in local communities.
Research and Information
Work with staff to conduct and disseminate case-making research on private sector support for the arts.
• Conduct an annual United Arts Funds survey tracking campaign contributions and allocations.
• Update the Private Sector Network section of the website with information, tools and resources on strategies for reaching corporations and foundations.
• Utilize the BCA Survey of Business Support for the Arts as a training tool for local arts agencies to partner with the business community.
• Partner with Research and Local Arts Advancement department to track private sector support and partnerships through the Local Arts Agency Census.
• Produce articles for Americans for the Arts and local online and print newsletters on arts and private sector partnerships.
• Bachelor’s degree
• At least five years of related experience
• Knowledge of the local arts advancement field
• Knowledge about developing arts and business partnerships
• Knowledge about foundation support for the arts
• Strong organizational skills and the ability to handle multiple projects
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Excellent customer service skills
• Ability to work with minimum supervision
• Ability to maintain good interpersonal relationships
• Some travel required
• A commitment to advancing the arts in America